humanitarian relief

dear world,

if i’m just a walking sac of chemicals,
then there’s no such thing as miracles
and caring isn’t caring; just synapses
flaring—so tell me, why should i care?

movies end happily, but i can’t for the life of me
understand—if God is dead, what’s the hurry?
why this cumbersome worry?
there’s no referent and nothing is definite;
so do as you please; forget
poverty, education, disease.

please tell me why should I care; pack my bags
and go over there; pay plane, bus and taxi fare?
so what if children don’t eat and people can’t walk
down the street without rape, AIDS, pregnancy to meet?

i get the green thing. i have to live in this space with all
the rest of this evolving race. but there’s no Telos
so Darwin tells us—no meaning in our beginning;
no meaning in our end—so why should i care?

because apparently, we ain’t goin’ nowhere.

so dear world,

i decided i don’t care. but i can’t. i mean, just listen to this rant.
there’s care there.
care’s there from the start, presupposing Science and Art;
care recessed, repressed in my bleeding heart.

things aren’t the way they’re supposed to be,
and the Story of Biology is not sufficient—
they say we’re here on accident… but i need more.

i need more in order to account for this life
as we live it. look around and see people caring,
friend and neighbor sharing—poverty, injustice repairing.
there’s care there… but, from where?

people don’t love wholly right—even when striving
with all our light. we withhold, we withdraw, we fight.
we harbor anger; we brandish pride; we’ve all of us
murdered and lied; selfishly denied truth, justice, mercy.

and yet… there’s Care there. it echoes in our tomes,
recalling to our breath and bones our Original Shimmering Start,
pulsating, all along, in our heart.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
Be the first to like this post.

18 Responses to humanitarian relief

1. Val says:

!! Love it! Did you write this? Definitely a rap rhythm to it, which would make me so happy.

• reneamac says:

Thanks Val. I did write it. And you’re right; I wrote it with the intention of performing it at spoken word night at the community center in Dallas… We’ll see how brave I get. (Plus, there are some places that still need some work…)

2. Val says:

Ah, so fabulous. At first I wasn’t sure if it was you because I’ve never seen anything you’ve done with this kind of rhythm to it before, and then I couldn’t get away from certain lines that screamed “Renea,” esp. “original shimmering start” . Great job on this!

3. Is this what Jenny was talking about? It really is well done & thought provoking. I like your style guuuuurl. (-:

4. reneamac says:

Thanks so much, girls!

5. Mike Sears says:

That is a great poem! It reminded me of Jean Paul Sartre’s piece on Existentialism:

“The existentialist, on the contrary, finds it extremely embarrassing that God does not exist, for there disappears with Him all possibility of finding values in an intelligible heaven. There can no longer be any good a priori, since there is no infinite and perfect consciousness to think it. It is nowhere written that “the good” exists, that one must be honest or must not lie, since we are now upon the plane where there are only men. Dostoevsky once wrote: “If God did not exist, everything would be permitted”; and that, for existentialism, is the starting point. Everything is indeed permitted if God does not exist, and man is in consequence forlorn, for he cannot find anything to depend upon either within or outside himself. He discovers forthwith, that he is without excuse. For if indeed existence precedes essence, one will never be able to explain one’s action by reference to a given and specific human nature; in other words, there is no determinism – man is free, man is freedom. Nor, on the other hand, if God does not exist, are we provided with any values or commands that could legitimise our behaviour. Thus we have neither behind us, nor before us in a luminous realm of values, any means of justification or excuse. – We are left alone, without excuse.”

6. Dan Oberg says:

Renea, thanks for your poem, I found it on Probe. Very profound!! I’m going to put it up on my Facebook for others to read. May God continue to richly bless your blog and ministry for Probe.

7. reneamac says:

Mike, thanks for including that excerpt from Sartre; the moral argument is, to me, the most convincing.

Doug, thanks for posting on FB; hopefully wheels will turn!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

8. Renea!! You are so so talented! This is an amazing piece of work! I am going to post it on my FB too- I hope you do perform it as spoken word!! Hope life is well!

9. Pingback: You’ve Stumped Me « speak what we feel

10. I wonder if you’ve read ‘On Beauty’ by Plotinus; it is quite interesting and uses concepts we can observe to point to a higher Existence.

Great work, here.

• reneamac says:

Excellent! I enjoyed that piece quite a bit. I think the argument for beauty goes hand in hand with the moral argument mentioned above. Thanks, Mike, for the link.

11. Pingback: pe scara Cerului » Blog Archive » ajutor umanitar

12. Tuan Tratar says:

Found out your website via live search the other day and absolutely think its great. Keep up this fantastic work.

13. reneamac says: